On July 30, 2018, Chief Engineer/Firefighter DiBenedetto responded from his home to the firehouse for an activated CO alarm call. An in-station crew and the chief responded to investigate and found it due to a faulty battery. DiBenedetto stood-by in-station for additional calls and to place the apparatus back into service. Upon completion, he then returned home. The next morning, DiBenedetto complained that he wasn’t feeling well and had a friend transport him to a local hospital. He suffered a massive stroke while en route, and required immediate surgery upon arrival. Life-saving measures were unsuccessful and he passed away in the hospital on August 2, 2018.
Incident Location: 3 South Main Street, PO Box 1, Englishtown, NJ 07726 (US National Grid: 18T WK 5441 6044 (D.D.: 40.293, -74.360))